1 May 2008 - 8:08Starting a band on Speak Peppery
Ever since the demise of The Tourettes (Joanna’s girl-band brainchild and the best extracurricular experience in college by far) I have wanted to start a conceptual band. If conceptual art is a whole genre with entire PhD dissertations written on it, there should at least be a little more conceptual music.
Obviously the first step is to blog a lot about what the band will be like. So here we go. The band is essentially made of Speak, Peppery members.
The confirmed lineup so far is:
Marian: drums, dancing
Sam: vocals, banjo, violin, electric guitar
Dawn: keyboard, vocals, erhu, bass
Any one else in Speak Peppery is welcome to join.
Conceptual gestures to during performances:
— One song will have us singing while roasting meat on a stick (performed)
– Dawn will sing with an Emmy Lou Harris accent. This is to comment on the fact that many white people try to sing like black people and no one thinks it’s weird. Will anyone notice if an asiatic person sings like a southerner?
– Sam will sing in Chinese.
– Oh and a vocoder.
– Oh and an erhu.
– Marian will play the marimba
– There will be a song about our love for big business
– Every conceptual gesture will devolve cacophonously into just plain rocking out.
Doesn’t this band sound great? Our next three practices will be over group email.